The City of Loveland is a home rule city and began administrating and collecting its own sales tax in 1999.
A sales tax license shall be required for any person who is engaged in the business of selling retail in the City, tangible personal property or services that are taxable. Any business that has two (2) or more separate locations are required to license at each entity. Loveland also does not have a general consumers use tax.
Service only businesses are not required to license.
Like us on Facebook for updates, reminders, and general information www.facebook.com/coltax
If the business is in the home, a Home Based License may be required. For more information contact 970.962.2523.
Sales Tax Rate
The City of Loveland's sales tax rate is 3.0%, combined with Larimer Counties 0.65% sales tax rate and the State of Colorado's 2.9% sales tax rate, the overall total is 6.55%.
Centerra Fee District
Businesses located in the Centerra Fee districts sales tax rate is 1.75% and is in addition to the district fees. For more information please visit the PIF & RSF Fees page.
The City of Loveland's lodging tax rate is 3.0%.
Food For Home Consumption Tax Rate
The City of Loveland's food for home consumption tax rate is 3.0%.
Visit the Special Events page for more information.
Important Things To Know
- There is a $20.00 non-refundable Sales Tax Application fee. Apply online now!
- Licenses are only valid from January 1st to December 31st of each year.
- The annual renewal fee for a sales tax license is $20.00.
- Engaged in business typically means that a vendor sells taxable products at retail and has a business presence, or a physical connection to the City of Loveland, otherwise known as “nexus”.
- A separate Sales Tax License is required for each physical location where a retailer operates a retail business within the City.
- Businesses that have a physical location in the City, but do not sell tangible personal property and/or are a service or wholesale business are not required to have a Sales Tax License.
Collection And Remittance
- Vendors submit sales tax returns according to the reporting period assigned when the sales tax license was issued.
- Vendors may remit taxes monthly, quarterly, or annually depending on the amount of sales.
- Returns are due on or before the 20th day of the month following the reporting period. If the 20th of the month falls on a weekend or Holiday, the return is due on the next business day.
- All vendors are responsible for timely filing of their sales tax returns. Returns will be considered late if the postmark date is past the 20th of the month, or the first business day after a weekend or holiday.
- The postmark date must be the official USPS postmark. Self Metered postmarked dates will not be considered to be valid.
- If no tax is due, a zero return must be filed.
- Pay online now!
After You Submit Your Application
Once the application is received by the City:
- It will be reviewed for questions and omissions.
- Applications may be returned to the vendor with a request for more information.
- Completed applications will be processed and the vendor will be sent a Retail Sales Tax License.
- Allow up to 21 business days for your license. Applications are typically not processed during the week of the 20th.